Saturday, February 4, 2012

Introvert's Lament Hi, my name is Lina, and I'm an introvert. (Hi, Lina...) I guess it started in utero, when I was so comfortable in my mother's womb that I was two weeks late leaving it. One of my earliest memories, is being four years old and, upon moving into a new neightborhood, my mother thought I should make some friends. She knew the house at the end of the street had kids (six!) and I remember her pulling me toward the house, and feeling terrified. I certainly don't blame Mom, and it turns out I did make friends with the family. But I still feel there are some misconceptions out there about what it is to be introverted. One is we are shy. But it's not the same thing. I've never been shy. I am very direct and have never been afraid of public speaking, or meeting new people. But I do tend to get overwhelmed in social situations, and large, noisy crowds of people make me nervous. Even after spending the day with loved ones, I need to steal away and be alone. It doesn't mean I am some friendless loser or socially inept freak. But if you are quiet, and in your own head, I truly feel you are treated like a second class citizen or deeply flawed individual by some people. And as I grow older, these judgements become less and less acceptable. The little digs about "being so quiet!" or an instruction to "smile!" become less and less endearing. This is who I am, and I'm never going to be an exhibitionistic, loud, lampshade-on-the-head people pleaser. There is nothing wrong with those kinds of folks, but isn't there room for both of us? Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment